I’ve been making LOTS of these gluten free vegan oatmeal breakfast bars for years…I got the recipe from our Waldorf Kindergarten teacher who used to make them as a special afterschool treat for the children. The recipe is so simple that she often had the children make it with her. I modified it slightly to make it gluten free and vegan…
I pack these in my children’s school lunches all of the time and the mom of my daughter’s friend asked me for the recipe recently. I thought it would be a good recipe to share here because it’s really healthy and…yummy. It’s like having bowl of oatmeal with fruit packed into an easy-to-carry bar!
As a note, if you can eat eggs, please substitute 2 slightly beaten eggs for the flaxseed/water mixture.
STEPHA’S GLUTEN FREE, VEGAN OATMEAL BREAKFAST BARS
* 3 cups gluten free oatmeal (If you don’t know, all oatmeal is NOT gluten free–it’s often cross contaminated with wheat)
* 3/4 cup maple syrup or honey
* 1 cup dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, apricots, cherries, mangos, etc)
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3 cups non dairy milk (rice, almond, hemp)
* 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
* 1/3 cup warm water
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (grapeseed, light olive, coconut)
* 1 tablespoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously oil the inside of an 8 inch square pan.
Start by mixing ground flaxseed with warm water and set aside for a couple minutes. Next combine all of the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
Put in the center of the oven and bake for an hour.
Cool and cut into bars.