I’ve been trying to incorporate soaked almond meal to add protein and fiber to baked goods and this gluten and dairy free poppy seed bread is one delicious example. Besides poppy seeds, the bread is flavored with fragrant orange juice and zest. Although I leave it plain for my children’s school snack, this bread would be a yummy desert topped with an orange juice and powdered sugar glaze.
I’ve also been experimenting with substituting psyllium husks for the traditional xanthan gum in my gluten free recipes. When I use psyllium husks in the recipe, the loaf rises much higher and has a more wheat-like chewiness. If you don’t have (or don’t want to try psyllium) you can use xanthan gum.
I hope that you try this high protein and high fiber bread!
GLUTEN AND DAIRY FREE POPPY SEED BREAD
3 tablespoons non dairy butter (softened)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
grated zest of 2 oranges
1 cup gluten free flour blend (w/o xanthan gum added)
3/4 cup almond meal
2 tablespoons psyllium flakes (or xanthan gum)
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin (or agar agar powder)
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) Liberally grease 9″ x 5″ loaf pan.
3) Mix together eggs, non dairy butter, sugar, orange juice and orange zest until creamy.
4) Mix dry ingredients together well first before adding them to egg mixture. Mix thoroughly.
5) Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 35 minutes or until just firm to touch. Do not over bake.
6) Top with orange glaze if desired (2 cups powdered sugar and 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice)