I made these “gluten free vegan no bake energy bars” for the first time when we went to the Redwood Forest last summer. They were the perfect high protein snack to tuck into our backpacks while we hiked among those majestic trees. I’ve started making them again for my son who is starting to golf and needs a high protein snack to eat during those long three to four hour games. These bars have become his absolute favorite snack.
I use soaked and dehydrated nuts and oatmeal for easy digestion, but if you don’t have stomach sensitivity you can use regular nuts and oats. When choosing nuts, it’s best to try to incorporate small nuts like sunflower or pumpkin seeds into your mix for good texture. I usually mix almonds, pecans and sunflower seeds. Make sure your nuts are crisp. If not, toast them for 5- 10 minutes in a 325 oven.
Besides being gluten free and vegan, you don’t need to bake these bars! Although it might seem like there are a lot of ingredients, these bars are a breeze to make. I hope that you’ll try them!
GLUTEN FREE VEGAN NO BAKE ENERGY BARS
* 1 T oil or non dairy butter to grease pan
* 1/4 cup non dairy chocolate chips or cocoa nibs
* 1 1/2 assorted chopped unsalted nuts**
* 1 1/2 gluten free rolled oats**
* 1 1/2 gluten free brown rice cereal
* 1/3 cup raisins
* 1/4 cup ground flax seed
* 1/4 cup honey
* 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
* 1/4 cup almond butter
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1) Grease 9 x 13 inch pan with oil or non dairy butter
2) Mix dry ingredients together
3) Combine wet ingredients in saucepan on medium heat until it comes to a low boil. Stir constantly for four minutes.
4) Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix well.
5) Fold in chocolate chips or cocoa nibs
6) Spread into prepared pan and press firmly–especially the corners and edges.
7) Refrigerate until firm and cut into bars
** Use soaked and dehydrated nuts and oats for easier digestion. Make sure your nuts are crisp. If not, toast for 5-10 minutes in a 325 degree oven.