Our summer has been filled with travel and family and so it seemed to fly by faster than ever before. My children start school in one week and it has finally hit me that I need to start preparing. Yes, the usual checking to make sure that they haven’t outgrown all of their school clothes and shoes, but for me there’s much to prepare food-wise. In one week I’ll be packing gluten and dairy free snacks and lunches each day…
So I’ve begun making stacks of gluten and dairy free pancakes to freeze, double batches of gluten and dairy free muffins to freeze and oatmeal bars to freeze. I’ve also starting soaking and dehydrating almonds and pecans and have started to learn to make yummy nut butters in my Vitamix. Our rule is that breakfast has to include protein–usually nuts or nut butters, but also sometimes a bit of carefully chosen breakfast meat.
A new favorite to add to this year’s menu will be homemade gluten free granola. It’s a cinch to make using certified gluten free oats, and I make it more easily digestible and more nutritious by soaking and dehydrating the oatmeal first. (and then of course also using soaked and dehydrated nuts) Here’s a “basic” recipe, but you can easily make whatever grain/nut/fruit combination that you want.
One word of caution is to watch your granola once you put it in the oven. I’ve overcooked a few batches and the edges become overly brown and a bit bitter. I’ve started to religiously use a timer!
Also, I sometimes do not cook the dried fruit and add it in after I’ve cooked the oats and nuts. For some fruit like dried mango, I think it retains more of its fresh flavor if it is not cooked.
Enjoy this easy breakfast cereal or nutritious snack!
HOMEMADE GLUTEN FREE GRANOLA
* 4 cups gluten free oats (I use soaked and dehydrated for easy digestion and maximum nutrition)
* 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (I usually mix almonds, pecans and sunflower or pumpkin seeds–preferably soaked and dehydrated)
* 1 cup dried fruit (we love cranberries and mango)
* 1 teaspoon sea salt
* 1 tablespoon cinnamon
* 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
* 1/2 cup honey, agave, or maple syrup
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil
2) Combine oats, nuts, fruit (or see note above about NOT cooking), salt and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly.
3) Combine coconut oil and honey together and pour over dry mixture. Mix to ensure oats are covered.
4) Pour onto baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes. STIR.
5) Return to the oven for another 10-12 minutes or until granola is golden brown. (do not overcook!)
Allow to cool and enjoy with yogurt, almond milk, or just plain!
Linking to Gluten Free Wednesday,