Growing up, we didn’t get to eat a lot of sweets–except during the holidays. I have such fond memories of making several different kinds of Christmas cookies with my brothers and sisters in the days leading up to Christmas. My absolute favorite Christmas cookie was what we called “Russian teacakes”. (also known as Mexican wedding cookies) This year as I try to start a Christmas cookie tradition with my kids, I wanted to come up with a few good gluten and dairy free Christmas cookies–especially Russian teacakes. And, I’m so happy to say that I was able to come up with a really delicious gluten and dairy free version! The crisp and shortbread-like texture of these gluten free cookies is what’s so amazing. It’s almost exactly the same as a wheat version!
And, these gluten and dairy free Christmas cookies are super easy to make…
Eating these Russian teacakes brings back such good memories for me. When I told my son that Russian teacakes used to be my favorite Christmas cookie, he told me that they are now his favorite Christmas cookie too!
GLUTEN AND DAIRY FREE CHRISTMAS COOKIES: RUSSIAN TEACAKES
* 1 cup non dairy “butter”, softened (I like Earth Balance)
* 1/2 cup powdered sugar (I use organic cane)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 1/4 cup superfine brown or white rice flour
* 1 cup tapioca starch
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (chopped fairly fine. I use soaked and dehydrated walnuts)
* additional powdered sugar for rolling baked cookies in
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Cream together non dairy butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add in vanilla.
3) Blend rice flour, tapioca starch and salt together well. Add to butter mixture. Add in walnuts.
4) Form dough into 1″ balls and place onto parchment lined baking sheet.
5) Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes.
6) While cookies are still warm, roll (a few at a time) in powdered sugar to coat. Let cool completely.
7) Once cool, roll cookies once more in powdered sugar.
Yield: approximately 32 cookies