My sister is always making her family healthy food and I was so excited when she sent me a recipe for dairy free vegan nacho cheese dip. Instead of “cheese”, the dip is made of potatoes, nutritional yeast, olive oil and carrots for color. I immediately tried her recipe as is and it was so delicious that our family ate it right up. For our second batch, I thought that I would doctor it up a little with garlic and onion powder and add even more veggies–cauliflower. The texture and color is amazingly like dairy nacho cheese and the taste is really delicious. In no time, we ate up our second batch and I made a third to send in my son’s snack for school. (along with blue corn chips and some apples to dip).
I should disclose that I didn’t tell my kids that this dairy free nacho cheese dip was made from veggies and the amazing thing is that they did not detect the veggies at all. Although my husband and I love cauliflower–they don’t. Or at least, they “think” they don’t…
If you can’t eat dairy, or are just cutting down on dairy, give this recipe a try. It is definitely kid approved.
HEALTHY DAIRY FREE VEGAN NACHO CHEESE DIP
* 1 cup diced potatoes
* 1 cup diced cauliflower**
* 3/4 cup diced carrots
* 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
* 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 1/4 cup water (reserved from veggies)
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
* 3/4 teaspoon – 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
**If you don’t have cauliflower, you can use an additional cup of potatoes
1) Peel and dice potatoes and carrots to same size. Dice cauliflower to a slightly smaller size. (cauliflower takes a little longer to get tender)
2) Put potatoes, carrots and cauliflower into boiling water and cook until fork tender. Drain well and reserve 1/4 cup water.
3) Put potatoes, carrots and cauliflower into a high powered blender ( I used my Vitamix) along with the rest of the ingredients. Blend on highest setting for about a minute until smooth and creamy.
4) Serve immediately while warm with chips or cut veggies. Sauce retains its creamy texture even when cold however, so it can be packed as snack or lunch.
Makes 2 1/2 cups. Store in refrigerator for up to five days.